Friday 1 March 2013

Infrared Photography - with Canon 5D mkii

Little cedar bush in yard, shot using Canon 5d Mkii, 50mm f/1.8 and infrared R-72 filter in bright sunlight.
Same cedar bush - different camera!
Canon 5D Mkii, 50mm f/1.8 lens
& R72 filter - 20 sec's, f/9, ISO 400
All of a sudden, it hit me!  That 52mm R-72 filter I bought the other day will fit my Canon 50mm 1.8 lens!  Oh, I've read that camera is no good for I-R shooting, but I've also read that it will work.  What did I have to lose?  So, I popped it on a tripod and snapped the same bush, snow and fence in our yard as in my previous post.  MUCH improvement!

Just for giggles, I've included the same shot, but without the black & white processing.  ALL other processing steps are included otherwise (same sharpening, cropping, etc - all pasted to the I-R 'reddish' image, using Lightroom 4).
 
The bush comes out clearer/sharper, much less noise (shot in RAW, after all) and I can take shots longer than the 8 sec's the Sony Mavica restricted me to.
 
So now I have to listen to my wife and get out to the conservation area, do some walking and shooting (with a lens - settle down!!).
 
Metering with the 5D Mkii was tricky though...  When the meter said the shot was correctly exposed, nothing was showing up in 'live view'.  I mean - nothing!  So, I started messing with exposure by guessing.  This was the best of the lot.

Now, if I can only get that blasted Sima I-R light to actually work!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment